Making your own salt beef
Make your own wonderful Salt Beef
Instructions -These instructions are formulated for a 1.5Kg brisket. You'll have to scale your ingredients to suite the piece of brisket you choose.
Ingredients for making your salt beef.
1.5Kg Beef brisket (trimmed).
45g Smokedust salt beef cure (30g of cure for every 1Kg of meat)
1 Celery stick
3 Cloves garlic
2 Sprigs of thyme
2 Sage leaves
1 Bay leaf
1/2 Tsp Cracked black pepper
1/2 Star anise(crushed)
1 Clove (crushed)
- De-sinew and remove all the silverskin and fat from your beef brisket If the brisket is particularly thick pierce the meat to aid penetration using a tenderising spikes or fork. In a glass dish or other non-metallic dish.
- Coat the brisket in the salt mix until it is completely covered.
- Place the Brisket in a vacuum bag or zip lok bag and cure in the fridge for a week. Turn the brisket over every day. This will ensure that you achieve an even cure.
- Remove the brisket from the bag and place it in the cooking pot. Soak it in cold fresh water for 4 hours. Drain the water and refill just covering the brisket by two inches.
- Roughly chop two onions - two carrots and some celery. Add a few lightly crushed cloves of garlic to the pot and add a sprig of thyme - two bay leaves and a few sage leaves. Bring this lot to the boil and reduce the heat simmering gently for two hours.
- Now - with the beef still in the pot - cover the brisket with a piece of baking parchment and allow the whole thing to cool naturally. When the brisket has cooled enough to handle remove it from the pot and you can either eat it straight away or have this as a cold cured meat. Delicious!